Charleston: Landing Cotton Alongside The Exchange c. 1820

$700.00

This view is from the basin behind the Exchange, which was constructed in 1771-1772 to serve the dire need for a meetinghouse for members of the commercial hierarchy of the fledgling port and also as a Customs House. Shown secured at a pier to the left is a regular caller at the port, the sloop “Lady Washington.” To the right, the recently arrived ship “Superb,” is taking on a cargo of cotton, attracting the attention of visitors to the Exchange that day.

View Artist’s Biography

SKU: Stobart-024 Categories: ,

Additional information

Catalog:

Stobart-024

Artist:

John Stobart

Dimensions:

20" x 28"

Edition:

850